Saturday, January 26, 2008

7 year olds are hilarious!

Reasons 7-year olds are the best age to teach:

  1. Fashion advice: So I never really pay too much attention to my shoes. I love cute socks, but my shoes do not get a whole lot of thought. I buy shoes I like, but when I put my shoes on in the morning (usually as I am running out the door) I just grab what matches the best. Yesterday I realized that I should put a little more thought into it. I was sitting on my chair and my students were sitting at the carpet. One student said: "Hey, you got new shoes!" It dawned on my that my shoes are actually the part of me my students see the most. They always play with them while sitting at the carpet. Just FYI, they were not new shoes. It was just the first time I had worn them post-pregnancy. All my students could tell me what shoes I wear to school and how often.
  2. Improv singing: I've blogged about the Labor Day Song that my students were singing in December. Yesterday a student (actually, the same one that noticed my shoes) made up a song about crayons and proceeded to sing it to his crayons. He then walked around the room singing it to the other students' crayons. Let me tell you, it was pretty funny.
  3. Melt-your-heart love: The other day I showed my students a video of Elinor laughing. They LOVED it! During writing that day, someone wrote a cinquain poem about her (that's funny, it was again that same student--my other students do funny things, too!). It was adorable. Yesterday, one of my students from last year came up to me. This is what he asked: "Mrs. Rowberry, how is Elinor doing?" It was so cute. I feel kind of bad for my last class. They had to deal with me throwing up multiple times a day for most of the year, but didn't get to see her after she was born! Lastly, I have a student that is going to be the death of me this year. He steals stuff from me, is never on task, and is constantly getting in trouble (not just from me). Well one day recently he got in A LOT of trouble. I had just had a pretty firm talk with him at the end of the day. He got his stuff together and was getting ready to leave. As he was leaving, he turned and said, "Have a great day, Mrs. Rowberry." I thought that was great. He still loves me even though I have to be pretty firm with him. Second graders ADORE their teachers!
  4. I wish I could video my class everyday. They do so many hilarious things every single day that I can't even write them down. Brad asked me the other day that if I could do it all over, would I still be a teacher? My answer is a resounding YES! My class is really rough this year (did I mention I have 17 boys and 8 girls? Talk about rowdy!) and they tend not to listen at all! But I love them and would rather not be doing anything else. (Ask me on another day, though, and the answer may be different!).
Anyway, I completely recommend spending some quality time with 7 year olds. You will be impressed and uplifted!

1 comment:

Mrs. Cropper said...

:) Loved this. Here's what's great about that whole theyloveyouevenafteryouscoldthemthing. Your real kids will do the same thing. It amazes me how after I firmly tell Blaine not to push the DVD player onto the floor how all he wants to do is hug me.