Friday, January 11, 2008

Welcome to the 21st Century!

So my old roomie Christy blogged about technology and how kids get technology so much younger than when we were younger. I mean, could you imagine Oregon Trail on a computer now? It wouldn't take nearly as long to die of dysentery or ford a river and the graphics would be more than choppy, basic graphics on the lovely green screen. This week I have been working with our laptop cart at school. It is crazy that 7 and 8 year olds can do as much as they can on computers. They can even use a laptop pretty nicely! I am pretty sure that laptops were not even a figment of the imagination when I was in second grade! Here is the real reason I am blogging about this: yesterday I was teaching a lesson and was rudely interrupted by a cell phone. That's right folks. A cell phone. And ready for this? A couple of the kids didn't know if it was there's or not. That means that a couple of the kids in my class have cell phones that they bring to school. Seriously? Really? I should not need to worry about cell phones when I teach second grade! Just like Christy, I wonder how much technology will be available for my little Elinor and her future siblings. I hope I'm never so out of touch with technology that my kids (or grandkids) have to teach me about it!

No comments: